Absolutely! Check out this video from Trident Land Transfer for more info.
Here are a just a few scenarios you could encounter without the protection of title insurance:
– Forgery or fraud in connection with the execution of previously recorded documents
– Incorrect representation of marital status of grantors
– Undisclosed or missing heirs
– Wills that have not been properly probated
– Mistaken interpretation of wills and trusts
– Incorrect legal descriptions
– Unsatisfied mortgages, liens, or judgments not shown on the record
– Deeds executed under expired or false powers of attorney
– Confusion due to similar or identical names
– Unknown rights of ex-spouses or former owners
– Clerical errors in recording legal documents
– Incorrect filing of condominium declarations.
Some of these things may sound crazy. However, in my 29 years of selling Philadelphia Real Estate, I have come across more than a few of the above situations.
Email us if you have any questions about purchasing title insurance or any of the other steps involved in the home-buying process.
Happy New Year!
BHHS | Fox & Roach Realtors